Family History Notebook

Some notes on
Warden, Northumberland
with particular relation to the Swindales

Warden Church
An engraving of Warden Church published in "History of Northumberland: by the Rev John Hodgson, M.R.S.L. Part II., Vol III Published 1840"

Warden is a parish in Northumberland which is bounded 0n the east by the river North Tyne and whose southern boundary reaches across the South Tyne. These rivers actually meet near the village of Warden before flowing down to Hexham.

The church, dating back to the 11th century, is dedicated to St Michael. There were chapels at Haydon Bridge and Newborough. The church of St Aiden at Fourstones was built as a mission church in 1875

The surviving parish registers of Warden commence in 1695. St Peter at Newborough registers also date back to 1695. The registers for Haydon bridge date back to 1654.

The parish of Warden extends to the south of the river South Tyne

The parish of Hexham and the district of Hexhamshire for historical reasons became a detached part of the Diocese of York until 1837 but Warden formed part of the Diocese of York from an early date.

Parish of Warden. Northumberland

The parish of Warden from Historical Maps at http://maps.familysearch.org with additions.

Nether Warden

"The Village of Wardon, in modern times, has obtained the needless prefix of Nether, to distinguish it from the old hamlet, properly enough from its situation, above this place, on the side of Wardon-law, called Upper Wardon : but Wardon, in all old and authentic records, is the name of this parish, and of its church town, which consists principally of the church, the vicaragehouse, the school-house, and the mansion-houses of the families of Leadbitter and Kirsop. Its situation is very sweet under the shelter of Wardon-hill or Wardonlaw on the north, and on rich, gravelly ground, betweenthe confluence of the North and South Tyne. "
"History of Northumberland: by the Rev John Hodgson, M.R.S.L. Part II., Vol III Published 1840"

John Swindale

John Swindale was living in Nether Warden* at the time of the Hearth Tax of 1664. He had witnessed a marriage in Hexham in 1653 and acted as godfather there in 1667. He can therefore be assumed to be born before 1635, possibly as early as 1620 or even 1610. He was not necessarily born in Northumberland since there are no earlier records of Swindale &tc in Northumberland and no other Swindale hearth tax records.

The parish records for Warden do not survive before 1695 so it is possible that Jane Swindall who married in St John Lee in 1660 and Richard Swindel of Mollersteads who married in Hexham in 1667 were his children and also Robert Swindall who baptised children at Warden in 1696, 1700 and 1703. Robert could equally be a grandson with a missing generation living and worshipping at Warden before 1695.

*Nether Warden is on the North Tyne a quarter of a mile from St Michael's Church at Warden.

Robert Swindal

Robert Swindal baptised three children at Warden :-
    George baptised 3 May 1696 in Warden, Northumberland
    Elizabeth baptised 27 Oct 1700 in Warden, Northumberland
    Mary, baptised on the 21st of November 1703(?) 2, buried on the 13th of February 1705/6 in Warden
Robert was possibly married at Warden before the start of the surviving registers.

Robert may have been the son or grandson of John Swindale. He was buried in Warden on the 29th of March 1723/4

George possibly married Mary Young on 30 November 1727  in All Saints, Newcastle and then baptised six children in Ryton, County Durham.

Elizabeth possibly married Thomas Wake in Ryton in Dec 1732 - no other Elizabeth Swind(ale) has been identified in the period.

Ryton is 24 km (15m) from Warden down the Tyne valley. It is in a coal mining area.

Other early Swindalls

There are six other Swindalls who may have been baptised at Warden before the start of the surviving registers

Richard, who was living at Mollersteads when he was married in 1667 in Hexham). He was probably the son, but possibly the brother, of John Swindale.
Jane, who was married in 1683 in St John Lee, the parish to the east of Warden. Possibly the daughter or granddaughter of John Swindale.

Possible grandchildren of John Swindale, possible children of Robert Swindal baptised before the commencement of the surviving registers at Warden:-
Jane, married Thomas Hebblewhite of Woodside, Ryton on 5th August 1701 in Ryton
I(sabel), parent of unnamed child buried on 17th March 1708/9 in Hexham, Northumberland
John, married Ann Picts (or Piels or Piet or Poet) and baptised 3 children at the Roman Catholic church of Hexham with Stonecroft 1718 - 1721
Richard, baptised 3 children in Warden and 3 children in Simonburn, the neighbouring parish to the north
    Elizabeth, baptised 3rd of March 1727 in Warden, Northumberland
    Robert, baptised on the 3rd of April 1729 in Warden, Northumberland
    Jane, baptised on the 20th of July 1731 in Warden, Northumberland

Later generations

1811 Mar 17 Mary Swindle, 3d of Robert, husbandman, n.o. Anick Grange in St John Lee & Jane Cook d of Henry, farmer n.o. Thourington born February 15th.
1818 Apr 26 Rebecca, d. of John & Dorothy Swindle of Parkshields - labr
1833 Jun 5 Jane, d. of Robert & Anne Swindle of Walwick Grange - Mason (temporary residence)
1836 Sep 25 William, s. of Robert & Anne Swindle
Robert & Ann
of Walwick, mason
1912 Sep 8 George Robert Swindle, s. of Martin, miner, and Martha of New Alston Hay Barn*

References

Wikipedia

 http://newbrough.info/history
http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N13840

Nether Warden

Nether Warden, the residence of the Rev. George, Cruddas M.A. vicar, is a house in the Gothic style, built in the year 1867, and beautifully seated on the North Tyne, near the Old Warden mill; it commands a good view of Hexham and the surrounding neighbourhood.
Kelly's Directory of Northumberland (1894)
Note however that the village of Warden had the name Nether Warden before the house was built.

N.B. I am not trying to suggest that John Swindale lived in a fine house!

Watersmeet below Warden
Watersmeet
The confluence of the North Tyne (straight ahead) and South Tyne (to left), seen from the right bank of the river immediately below the confluence. Warden is hidden behind the trees on the river bank.