Family History Notebook

George Swindel

Probably the George Swindel, son of Robert Swindel baptised 3 May 1696 in Warden, Northumberland1 or possibly the George Swindel, son of Richard Swindel, baptised 8 September 1695 in Hexham, Northumberland.

Married Mary Young on 30 November 1727  in All Saints, Newcastle.

Children

John  baptised 11 Oct 1730 in Ryton, County Durham (from Woodside)
George  baptised 11 March 1732/3 in Ryton, County Durham (from Woodside Green)
Robert  baptised 3 December 1738 in Ryton, County Durham (from Woodside)
Thomas baptised 25 January 1741 in Ryton, County Durham
William baptised in April 1744 in Ryton, County Durham
Dorothy  baptised 21 June 1747 in Ryton, County Durham (from Woodside)

Died at Woodside, buried 2 March 1747 in Ryton, County Durham 5

PersonID 05026

No further information known

Notes

1    George's sister Elizabeth is probably the Elizabeth who married Thomas Wake in Ryton in Dec 1732

2    Jane Swindale married from Woodside in 1701, so it appears that a Swindale moved to Woodside late in the 17th century.

3    Marriage register and Burial register use the spelling Swindel, two baptism entries use Swindell and two use Swindle. Note the alias Swinney specifically given in 1747 at the baptism of his daughter Dorothy. A number of Swiney s appear in the Ryton Registers

4    George Swindell is decribed as a yeoman in the marriage register.

5    Woodside is described in 1896 as "This straggling hamlet, which is in the parish of Greenside, lies on the south side of Ryton". "Ryton Woodside is reached by a road which branches from the Hexham turnpike on the south side of Ryton. A pleasant walk of half a mile brings you to the Glebe Farm on your right hand. Running along the south side of the farm is a road which leads to what remains of the old Glebe Pit, with which Mr John Buddle and Mr T.Y. Hall were connected. Stretching away in the distance westward are the Kyo, Rockwood Hill and Westwood Farms. In a field on the north side of the Glebe Farm, may be seen about one hundred yards of the old waggon way, by which the coals were led from Glebe Pit." (History of the Parish of Ryton - William Bourn 1896)

The Glebe pit was an early 19th pit but "The old Parish of Ryton was a coal mining area from at least 1367, when coal from Winlaton was shipped to London to be used at lime works in connection with building operations on Windsor Castle. Mining operations in Ryton Manor itself probably date from 1409, when the Bishop of Durham leased the mineral rights to John Carnis and William Tyndale." http://www.dmm.org.uk/history/sgate1.htm

5    The burial date of 2 March 1747 is later in the year than the baptism date for Dorothy of 21 June 1747.