Family History Notebook

Keogh locations


Google map of Locations associated with the Keogh family.

Geevagh

married Frances Agnes Keogh of Geevagh in 1870
daughter of Michael Keogh, esq, Geevagh
1862 Michael Keogh, jun Geevagh, Ballifarnon
George Keogh, s.o. Michael Keogh of Geevagh, Sligo
George, 3rd son of Michael Keogh of Geevagh
Cornelius Alexander Keogh .. lived at Gevagh, County Sligo - and at Oakport County Roscommon
George Keogh of Greevagh died a few days ago 1909
Cornelius A Keogh, Geevagh 1859 (office holder)
George Keogh, Esq., of Glencourt, co. Wicklow : and of Geevagh, co. Sligo. third son of Michael Keogh, esq.,  of Geevagh, who died 1867, by Eleanor Marin, dau of the late Philip Ryan, Esq., ...

The year 2008 marks an interesting centenary in the history of Geevagh. It is difficult from today's position to realise the distressed state of the parish in 1908. Widespread evictions from the local Keogh estate meant many poor families eked out an existence of sorts on the rough barren slopes of Carran mountain. A campaign of non payment of rent exposed many families to such a fate, and in an effort to prevent further evictions, the Land League organised demonstrations to prevent delivery of eviction notices by local postmen.This led to several confrontations in January 1908 between a large number of citizens and the police. Court cases ensued against around two dozen locals, some of who ended up serving hard labour in prison for up to six months. While the court cases and prison terms were on going, the local community rallied around the families of the prisoners, making sure their farms were worked and tilled. It was not until summer 1909 that a resolution came with the release of the last prisoners, to much local rejoicing by the parish as a whole. John C. Mc Ternan in his book "Olde Sligo" (1997) records the 1908 events in interesting detail.

Aghanagh, County Sligo

 

Kilmacallan Parish, County Sligo

KILMACALLANE, or KILMACALLEN, a parish, in the barony of TIRAGHRILL, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. E.) from Collooney, on the road from that place to Ballyfarnon ; containing 4262 inhabitants.

Carrownagility township

Griffith's Valuation (1858) lists 25 tenants of Cornelius Keogh

Kilmactranny Parish, County Sligo (Tirerrill)

Ballynashee township

Griffith's Valuation (1847-1865) lists 42 tenants of Micheal Keogh including Michael Keogh jun.

Ballynashee Lodge
At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael Keogh owned Ballynashee Lodge, valued at £22. In 1906 George Keogh was the owner of the mansion house at Ballynashee valued at £22. Lewis also records this house as a seat of the Keogh family in 1837.

Straduff township

Griffith's Valuation (1847-1865) lists 27 tenants of Micheal Keogh including Michael Keogh jun.

Straduff Lodge
Patrick Martin was leasing a property valued at £3 from the Keogh estate at Straduff, parish of Kilmactranny, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This property appears on the 1st edition OS map as Straduff Lodge.

Tullynure township

Griffith's Valuation (1847-1865) lists 21 tenants of Micheal Keogh

In 1906 George Keogh still owned c.500 acres of untenanted land in the barony of Tirerrill, county Sligo.

Parish of Shancough, Sligo

Carrowynclowan township

Griffith's Valuation (1847-1865) lists 16 tenants of Cornelius Keogh

Tap township

Griffith's Valuation (1847-1865) lists 24 tenants of Micheal Keogh including Michael Keogh jun.

Ummeryroe township

Griffith's Valuation (1858) lists 18 tenants of Cornelius Keogh

Oakport 2023 acres

Cornelius Alexander Keogh of Oakport

Killukin, Boyle, Roscommon

Note: this should not be confused with the parish of Killukin in the Barony of Roscommon, County Roscommon!

At the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s John Keogh of Dublin was the proprietor of a number of townlands in the parish of Killukin, barony of Boyle, county Roscommon. His agent was Francis O'Byrne.

At the time of the Griffith's valuation (1852-1858) Thomas Keogh was the landlord in the townships of Ballindrehid (51 acres), Ballyculleen (175 acres), Deerpark (69 acres), Drumercool (163 acres), Lodge (203 acres), Mullaghmore (180 acres), Rock (25 acres) and Tawlaght (84 acres) in the Parish of Killukin.  (954 acres).

Townland boundaries in Croghan (Killukin and Killummod). (Cached)

Griffith's map

 (In the 1870s four members of the Keogh family, all members of the Army, each held 337 acres in county Roscommon. In 1875 approximately 400 acres of the Keogh estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court. )

Just north of the parish of Killukin, a John Keogh was landlord in the townlands of Ardchamoyle (49 acres)Sroankeeragh and Cuiltyconeen (137 acres)  in the parish of Tumna

Springfield House
At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John Keogh was leasing a house at Cultycuneen, barony of Boyle, valued at £13, to Joseph Backhouse. Keenahan and others state that this house was built by the Backhouse family in the 1790s. It remained in the family until the mid twentieth century. It is still extant and has been recently refurbished.

Glencourt, Bray, Co. Wicklow

The once-fashionable summer resort of Bray in County Wicklow.

Keogh (Drumsna) - The bulk of the lands owned by the Keogh estate were held in county Roscommon. However, the Keogh family are recorded as residing at Flanker House, Drumsna in the 1870s. In the 1830s this house is recorded as being the home of Mr. Potter. In the 1870s George Keogh is listed as the owner of 600 acres in county Leitrim, his address is given as Brighton, England. At the same time Robert Keogh, residing at Bonnybeg, Drumsna, held lands in county Roscommon.

Flanker House
The Walsh estate, including Drumsna House, was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1861. The sale notice describes the dwelling house as "handsome and commodious" with a large walled garden. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mary Anne Walsh was leasing the house, valued at £22 from Josias Rowley. The accompanying map indicates that it was called Flanker House. In the 1870s several members of the Keogh family, with an address at Flanker House, Drumsna, held property in county Roscommon.

The late Right Hon. William Keogh, DCL, of Bray, County Wicklow, many years judge of the Court of Common Pleas (Ireland), who died at Bingen-on-the-Rhine, on the 28th ult  in the sixty-first year of his age, was a son of the late William M. Keogh, Esq., of Corkip, County Roscommon, formerly Clerk of the Crown for Kilkenny, by his marriage with Mary Anne, daughter of the late Austin French, Esq., of .... ... He was born at Galway...  (The Law Times 1878)

John James Keogh died 10th October 1885 at Glencourt, Bray, Wicklow, where he was staying with his brother George Ryan Keogh.

Keoghville, Roscommon

The Keoghs were large landowners in county Roscommon before the Acts of Settlement when they lost much of their territory. William Keogh married Mary Ffrench of Rahoon and they were the parents of Judge William Keogh. In the 1870s W.J. Keogh of Fig-hill, Athlone owned 446 acres in county Roscommon. Four other members of the Keogh family owned 337 acres each in the county.

Keoghville

Built by Laurence Keogh and his wife Mary Fallon at the end of the 18th century. They were the grandparents of Judge Keogh. Described in the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books as still in the occupation of Keogh, the representaive of the ancient proprietors of Doohy-Keogh 'but he is poor and nearly shook'. This must be Ross Keogh who resided in Keoghville in 1837. By the time of Griffith's Valuation held in fee by John McKay and valued at £15. Abandoned in the 20th century and replaced by a modern bungalow, the yard is still in use.

Camlagh
The Newcomens resided at Camlagh in the mid 18th century and then leased the property to the Keoghs. Occupied by a Cruise in 1814 and described as a house of small dimensions at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. Occupied by E. Kilkenny in 1837 and by James Kelly and James Naughton in the 1850s.

Feacle/Fighill
The residence of Dennis Keogh in 1814, occupied by R. Keogh in 1837 and by Richard Keogh in the 1850s when the house was valued at £2. The house has been known as Fighill since at least 1837. The old house is no longer lived in.

 Corkip
An 18th century Lyster home, later occupied by the Keoghs, now in ruins.

Birchfield, Liscannor, County Clare

Birchfield, Liscannor

  Birchfield Estate  "BIRCHFIELD ESTATE".  (Copyright image - click on thumbnail to view original)  picture of * The Birchfield Estate, Liscannor, Lois Ceannúir, Co. Clare, Ireland *

Cornelius Alexander Keogh inherited this property as a consequence of his marriage to Mary O'Brien in 1862, following the death of George O'Brien, third son of Cornelius O'Brien, in 1867.

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie

Birchfield was the residence of Cornelius O'Brien in 1814 and in 1837. Lewis also refers to the erecting of an ornamental building in castellated style for the accommodation of visitors on the top of the cliffs [of Moher] by Cornelius O'Brien. The house was valued at £50 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. By the mid 1870s Birchfield belonged to Cornelius Alexander Keogh. It is now a ruin.

52.9449167 -9.4126222

Roman Catholic Chapel in Liscannor

Townland Beaghy
Civil Parish: Kilmacrehy
Poor Law Union: Ennistimon
DED(?): Ballysteen 57
Barony: Corcomroe
County: Clare
Map Ref: Lat/Lon Lat/Lon:52.94792 -9.41349  ; OSI R050 895

Drumdoe, Roscommon

"DRUMDOE", LORD YPRES HOUSE IN COUNTY ROSCOMMON, IRELAND.

 

"DRUMDOE", LORD YPRES HOUSE IN COUNTY ROSCOMMON, IRELAND."DRUMDOE", LORD YPRES HOUSE IN COUNTY ROSCOMMON, IRELAND.  (Copyright image - click on thumbnail to view original)

Occupied by Cornelius Alexander Keogh from at least 1878 till 1884 when he died there. By 1901 the house was occupied by Edward Cole Magennis and 1919 by Lord French, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland