Local History Notebook

The Eure Family
from "The Register Booke of Ingleby iuxta Grenhow" (JOHN BLACKBURNE, Cross & Jackman, "The Canterbury Press," 6, High Street. 1889. )

Camden is no doubt right in deriving the name of the Eure family from the
village of Eure in Buckinghamshire, which was granted by King Richard I. to John
de Fitz-Robert. The Eures of Ingleby were descended from a younger branch of
the barons of Warkworth. John de Fitz-Robert, 3rd baron of Warkworth, was the
first member of his family who was connected with Ingleby, inasmuch as he
obtained it along with Stokesley on his marriage with Ada, dau. of Hugh, grandson
of Bernard de Balliol. She was sister to John de Balliol, the founder (1263) of
Balliol College, Oxford, and aunt to John de Balliol, King of Scotland. In 1223-4
John de Eure obtained a charter for a fair to be held at Stokesley on the eve and
day of St. Thomas the martyr. He was sheriff of Northumberland 1224-7.
Apparently in the life-time of her husband Ada de Eure conveyed the manorhouse
of Stokesley, with half of that barony, and the advowson of fifteen churches,
and half of the forest of Basedale, to her son Sir Hugh de Eure, and his heirs
lawfully begotten, with a remainder to his brother, Sir Robert de Eure. The
residuary portion of the barony probably remained vested in her husband, and after
his death was granted to his sons Hugh and Robert. In 1290 King Ed. I. confirmed
to Sir Hugh de Eure the manors of Stokesley and Ingleby. He was one of the
executors of the will of John de Balliol, founder of Balliol College, Oxford.
Sir Hugh was succeeded by his son Sir John de Eure of Stokesley and Ingleby.
In 1304 he "granted, remised, and wholly quit-claimed, for himself and his heirs for
ever, to the abbey of St. Hilda at Whitby, the Church of Kirkeby in Cleveland, and
all its appurtenances."* In 1306 he obtained a grant of free warren in his manor of
Easby in Cleveland. In 1309 he was sheriff of Yorkshire, and in 1315 was certified
as lord of the manors of Stokesley, Ingleby, Easby, Battersby and Kirby in
Cleveland.
Sir John de Eure, who died in 1393, was one of the principal warriors of his
time, and at his death was constable of Dover Castle, and Lord Steward of the
king's house.1

His son. Sir Ralph, held the appointments of sheriff of Northumberland,
governor of the castle of Newcastle upon Tyne, sheriff of Yorkshire, and constable
of York Castle. In 1410 Langley, Bishop of Durham, gave him a licence to fortify
his castle at Witton.
Sir William Eure was married in 1411, at the age of 15, to Matilda, dau. of
Henry, Lord Fitzhugh, of Ravensworth. Sir Ralph, his son, was sheriff of
Yorkshire in 1445, and was killed at Towton Field in 1461. He married Eleanor,
dau. of Ralph, baron of Greystoke.
The next holder of the estates. Sir William Eure, was sheriff of York in 1483.
In 1497 he obtained a dispensation for his marriage to his second wife, Constance,
widow of Sir Henry Percy, of Bamborough, to whom he was twice related in the
third degree.
Sir Ralph Eure was sheriff of Northumberland in 1504, and of Yorkshire in
1506 and 1510. His son, Sir William, was Sheriff of Northumberland in 1527,
captain of the town and castle of Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1538, and was created
Lord Eure of Witton in 1543.
His son. Sir Ralph Eure, was constable of Scarborough castle in 1537, in which
year he defended it with his household servants only against the rebels in the
Pilgrimage of Grace, living for nearly 20 days on little more than bread and water.
In return for these services he was made Warden of the Marches, " and," says Mr.
Grose, " did so many vahant exploits against the Scots in Teviotdale that the king
gave him a grant of all lands he could win from them." Upon the dissolution of
Whitby Abbey the Rectorial rights of Ingleby were granted to him. He was M.P.
for Scarborough 1542-5. He married Margery, dau. of Sir Ralph Bowes of
*In this year he also quit-claimed to Johanna {aot John as stated by Ord, and at page xx ante)
de Percy, Prioress of Basedale, lands, &c. at Ingleby Greenhow, &c.
XLIV INGLEBY GREENHOW REGISTERS.
Streatlam. He was slain by the Scots at Halidon Hill in 1545, and was buried in
Melrose Abbey.
William, who succeeded his grandfather as the 2nd Lord Eure, was born Feb.
27, !53t. In 1541, while he was still only ten years old, he was married at Ensham,
near Oxford, to Mary, dau. of Lord D'Arcy, a child of four years of age. The
marriage entered upon at so early a period of life did not turn out happily ; and in
1554, when he was 24 and she 17, a divorce was decreed between them at Durham
He afterwards married Margaret, dau. of Sir Edward Dymock of Scrivelsby, co.
Line, and champion of England. In 1552 he was warden of the Middle Marches,
and was afterwards captain of Ber^vick upon Tweed. By his will, dated Dec. 22,
1592, he bequeathed ;^1500 to his son to build a house at Jarrow upon Tyne. He
was buried at Ingleby in 1593, his wife Margaret having been buried there two years
previously. In the " North Riding Records " his name occurs as chairman of
Quarter Sessions in Yorkshire in 1586, his son Ralph being at the same time upon
the bench.
Ralph, the 3rd Lord Eure, was born in Berwick Castle, Sept. 24, 1558. He was
warden of the Middle Marches in 1586, Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1593, Lord President
of the Council in the Principality of Wales in 1607, ambassador to the Emperor
Rudolph II., and to the King of Denmark in 1603. He sold Ingleby to Sir David
Foulis in 1609, and died April 1, 1617. He married, 1st, about 1577, Mary dau. of
Sir John Dawnay of Sessay, and 2nd, in 1612, Elizabeth dau. of Sir John Spencer
and widow of Lord Hunsdon, who died about a month before him, and was buried
at Westminster. His brother, Sir Francis, was Chief Justice of North Wales about
1610, and Sir William was M.P. for Scarborough in 1601.
After the sale of Ingleby the Eure family continued to live at Stokesley. They
had also a house at Easby. In the list of Recusants presented at the Quarter
Sessions in April 1611 occurs the following entry :" Stokesley. Sir William Eure,
Knt., and his ladie [R. 3 mo.] "*
In the record of the Sessions of July 9th in the same year there is the following
entry :" Stokesley. Sir Will. Eure (40), and Dame Kath. his wife (30) have not
repaired unto their parishe church, nor, to our knowledge, to any other church,
chappell, or usual place of Common Prayer to heare Divine Service, according &c.,
for the space of 12 monethes, Marg* , dau*^ of the said Sir Will. (9), Margery Tare
(24), servant to the said Lady Eure, Will. Vanderhay (40), servant to the said Sir
Will. Eure."* Again in the account of the Sessions held at Helmsley on July 8,
1614, we have the following " Sir William Eure, about 44, and Lady Katherin his
wife, 40, each Rec. 7 years." On this last occasion the name of Sir William Eure
occurs as Chairman of the Sessions. Under date July 9, 1616, there is a similar
entry.
f
William Eure, son of the fourth Lord Eure, was a colonel in the army of
Charles I, and was killed at the battle of Marston Moor in 1645.
The following extract from Thoresby's Diary is printed in Ord's " History of
Cleveland."^ " Oct. 22. Afternoon at aunt Syke's. Had the opportunity of perusing
* " North Riding Records," Vol. III., pp. 68, 76. t Ibid. Vol. II., p. I4t. J P. 397.
several papers of her uncle, the last Lord Eure. By the extinction of the elder line of
this ancient family, the barony of Eure descended to the posterity of Sir Francis Eure,
who died in 1621. This branch had become reduced; and it appears b}' one of
De Neuve's MSS. at the Museum, that Sampson and Ralph Eure were woolendrapers
in London. Ralph succeeded to the title, which became extinct at his
death, 29th April, 1707."
In Stokesley Church is the following inscription :" Near this place lyeth the
body of Elizabeth Hornb}^ daughter of Richard Hornby, who was granddaughter of
Mrs. Elizabeth Walker of Easby, who was one of the co-heiresses of the Right
Hon. Lord Ralph Eure, Baron Eure, of Witton in Durham. She died the 26th of
August, 1739, aged 12 years and 8 months."
Several entries respecting the family of Eure will be found in the register
between the dates of 1574 and 1602.

1    This paragraph appears to be mistakenly based upon a confusion beteen Sir John de Eure and Sir John Devereux.